Friday, October 2, 2009

Twitter Updates

As a fairly active Twitter user (paigemichele), I did not have any problem tweeting for class. And to evaluate my past two weeks on Twitter, I decided to go about it from a third party stance. I found an article on Twitter etiquette by Fast Company, a magazine dedicated to entrepreneurs written by blogger/ PR agency CEO Norman Birnbach. There are tons of articles on Twitterquette but I felt Birnbach's really encompassed a wide variety of Twitter topics.

Read Birnbach's article here.

Where I dropped the ball was number 8.1 "Do not use 'I am.'"
I am finally reading the @mutribune and excited to see they printed Baucus' name... yes I am a nerd
I am wearing my favorite pashmina in hopes it will brighten my day
Tweets are supposed to answer the question "What are you doing," and Birnbach believes its a given that you are doing something, hence no need to say "I am." I understand where he is coming from, but out of normal conversational English, most people would start their sentences with this phrase.

I am happy to say that according to these 10 rules, I did excelled at 6. quality over quantity(A great team RT @MUSG: off-campus Senators are Bill Doerrer, Kate Gregory, Kevin Lefeber, Carly Nusser, & Holly Peterson) , 7. interesting links (Question would you pay a tax on pop? @adage American Beverage Association Launches Campaign Against Soda Tax: ttp://bit.ly/2mSDRR) and number 4. stream of consciousness tweets (most of the time).

I am closing in on my one year anniversary of my Twitter account and have passed my 1,000 tweet while sitting in Gee's class. It has been a long year and my motives for Twitter have changed from testing it out, to using it for news sources and finally using it to search for a job. I am a Twitteraholic, but I did not start that way. I have learned two things from Twitter that I would like to share.
1. It takes time to adjust your Twitter account to what you want to see come of it.
2. "Facebook is where I connect with people I know, Twitter is where connect with people I want to know." ( I stole this from different tweets)

No comments:

Post a Comment